Sunday, December 28, 2008

#20 You Too Can YouTube

Well, I've played around with YouTube (http://au.youtube.com/index) a lot...so I'm Fairly familiar with it already. I've had my own account for a few years already and have a lot of favourites saved to it, but I still had trouble deciding ..... do I choose a music video, a funny animal clip, one of my favourite japanese game shows or my current favourite sing-along-blog. The only new thing to me in this exercise is adding a player to a blog (this is the first blog I have created), but it was fairly simple once I got past the updated blogger controls.

In the end I chose two things. I embedded a player showing a cat sneaking closer when the cameraman wasnt looking (a current youtube fad), very easy to do, I just chose the customize option next to the embed option, then copied and pasted it to the Edit Html tab on blogger......I needed two goes though, in my first try the player was much too big and only half of it showed, but it was an easy matter to just go in and change the size.

The second thing I chose to do was add a gadget in the side bar of my blog. I chose another current internet favourite entitled "Dr Horrible's Sing-Along-Blog" made by Joss Whedon (creator of the Buffy TV series). To do this I just selected add a gadget and then scrolled down to video bar. This gave me the option to choose a title, a channel and/or keywords which would link to what I wanted on YouTube. I ended up with 4 video links to Dr Horrible clips.

On the whole I loved this exercise, the hardest part was choosing just one clip. I suppose the site could be used for instructional purposes in the library eg.how to use our catalogues or perhaps the microfilm.

No comments: